R.M. Young Company


Where can I buy parts for my YOUNG sensor?
Parts for most YOUNG wind sensors are available from YOUNG.  Parts diagrams are typically included in the instruction manual.   Many parts are stocked by YOUNG International Distributors.

How do I get my YOUNG product repaired?
Follow the instructions in the “Services & Support” section of this site.

Are your products CE approved?
Yes, CE labeling is located on the product and the certificate of conformity is available upon request.

What type of anemometer is best for high wind speeds?
The Wind Monitor is especially suited to high speed measurement.  A Wind Monitor sensor can measure speeds 40% higher than sonic type anemometers.

Why aren’t International prices on the web site?
Non-USA pricing is established by the individual distributor.  With our suppliers, we strive to offer competitive pricing in each region and market.  This pricing often includes additional expenses such as transportation, duties, stocking and handling costs.

Do I have to worry about UV exposure of my instrument?
YOUNG products make extensive use of high quality engineering thermoplastics.  These materials are highly UV resistant.

Where can I find recommendations on the siting, installation, and calibration of weather instrumentation?
The US Environmental Protection Agency provides the following on line document with recomendations on how to make accurate and quality meteorological measurements. This can be used as a guideline with the customer's application and space limitations taken into consideration.

US EPA document: Quality Assurance Handbook for Air Pollution Measurement Systems Volume IV: Meteorological Measurements

Where can I find the serial number?
Your serial number is either stamped into the plastic housing or printed onto a label. See this document for some examples.



How can I pay for my order?
Payment can be made by major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, and American Express). Credit card information can be submitted by telephone or fax, but will not be accepted by email. This is to protect the customer's information. Payment can also be made by Bank Wire Transfer. Contact us to obtain our banking information.

Does the item pricing shown include shipping?
Prices shown on published price lists and our Web site are EXW (Ex Works) Traverse City, Michigan USA and do not include shipping cost. Ex Works is an internationally recognized term which is similar to the commonly used term FOB Origin.

When is my credit card charged?
Your credit card will be charged at the time your order is shipped from our factory. The invoice will be sent by email.

How will my order be shipped?
UPS (United Parcel Service) is preferred. We will prepay shipping costs and add them to the invoice. We can also ship on the customer’s UPS account if requested. UPS ground service is standard with other expedited UPS shipping methods available.

Are state taxes included?
We do not have a provision for collection of state taxes other than Michigan.  Michigan sales tax will only be charged if shipped to a Michigan address unless an exemption certificate is supplied.

How do I know if my order has been received?
After your order has been entered into our system, an Order Verification will be sent to you by email. This will usually occur within 24 hours of your order being received. It is important to review this carefully to make sure your order is what you require.

How do I know when my order will be shipped?
The Order Verification that you receive will clearly indicate the estimated shipment date from our factory.

Can I obtain a Certificate of Origin for my ordered products?
Yes, we can supply a standard R.M. Young Company certificate at no charge upon request. For a certificate issued by the Chamber of Commerce there is an additional fee; contact us for pricing.

How do I obtain terms other than prepayment?
For customers who have not ordered from us previously, their first order is prepayment. Should you want to obtain payment terms on future orders, the credit application can be completed and submitted for processing. This process can take up to several weeks.

Mechanical Wind Sensors

Which model Wind Monitor should I choose?
The standard Model 05103 is recommended for general meteorology use.  A number of special models exist to satisfy unique applications:

Wind Monitor-HD Heavy Duty with enlarged ceramic bearings for extended bearing life
Wind Monitor-MA Marine use and exposure to saltwater
Wind Monitor-AQ Meets air quality monitoring requirements established by US EPA for PSD
Wind Monitor-SE Serial output with digital encoder for wind direction (no potentiometer)
Wind Monitor Alpine   Ice-resistant coating aids performance in freezing temperatures
Wind Monitor-IS Intrinsically-safe for use in hazardous environments

How do I calibrate my Wind Monitor?
The best method of calibrating any wind sensor is using a Wind Tunnel.  This can be done at YOUNG or other facilities for a nominal fee.  A field evaluation of Wind Monitor sensors can be done using the Anemometer Drive and other calibration accessories available from YOUNG.

How often should I replace ball bearings in my wind sensor?
Bearing replacement interval will vary depending on use.  In normal use, bearings will often last 5 years or more.  Exposure to harsh environments such as high wind, sea water and dust will shorten bearing life.  Good practice is to inspect bearings annually.  Replacement is indicated if bearing rotation is noisy or if high torque is noted.   Replacement is easy and requires no special skills.  Instructions are in the manual.

Ultrasonic Wind Sensors

How do I calibrate my sonic anemometer?
Sonic anemometer calibration can only be done in a Wind Tunnel.  This can be done at YOUNG for a nominal fee. A “zero wind” check can be done to verify that sonic electronics are operating properly with no wind present.

What is a “zero wind chamber”?
One functional test of sonic anemometers is to confirm that they report zero when no wind is present.  This test is performed in a zero wind chamber.  The “chamber” can be as simple as a plastic bag placed over the sensor or it can be a more elaborate fitted case;  the function is the same.

Can I repair my sonic anemometer?
Sonic anemometers are very complex instruments that require specialized equipment to service.  If the problem cannot be solved through changes to operating settings, then the sensor must be returned to the factory. 

Displays and Indicators

Can I repair my YOUNG display?
Repairs to electronic products (displays, barometers, etc…) must be done by a qualified technician.  Only YOUNG personnel or trained suppliers should perform these repairs.  Any attempt to repair a circuit board will void the warranty.

Temperature and Humidity

Coming Soon!

Precipitation and Pressure

My barometer doesn’t agree with the barometer at the airport. Is something wrong?
Since air density varies with altitude, barometers are commonly normalized to give the equivalent sea-level value.  Instructions about how to correct your barometer can be found here.


Coming Soon!